One familiar yet perplexing issue many homeowners face is a running toilet. It’s not just a nuisance; it can significantly impact your water bill. Understanding the reasons behind this and how to fix it can save you money and frustration.
Why is it Running and How to Fix Your Toilet
- The Toilet Flapper Isn’t Closing Properly: A main culprit is often the flapper. Over time, it can become misshapen or build up residue, preventing a tight seal. A simple replacement can fix this issue. Remember, the right size and fit are crucial for a proper seal.
- The Refill Tube Length Matters: If the refill tube is too long, it can cause siphoning effects, leading to continuous water flow. Adjust it to sit just above the overflow tube, avoiding direct water flow into the tube.
- Float Height Adjustments: Both old and new toilets can experience issues with float adjustment. For older models with a ball float, bending the float arm can resolve the issue. Newer models with a float cup may require screw adjustments to set the correct water level.
- Chain Length: A chain that’s too short or too long can prevent the flapper from sealing correctly. Adjusting the length to allow the flapper to close completely can stop the running water.
- Inspect the Float Valve: A cracked float valve can lead to continuous water leakage. Replacing it with a new model is a simple and cost-effective solution.
- Check the Overflow Pipe: This is less common, but a cracked overflow pipe can cause constant running or intermittent water cycling. Inspecting and replacing it is necessary if damaged.
Fixing a Running Toilet
- Always start by turning off the water supply.
- Remove the tank lid carefully and place it in a safe area.
- Methodically inspect each component: the flapper, refill tube, float, chain, and overflow pipe.
- Depending on the issue, make the necessary adjustments or replacements.
- Once fixed, turn the water supply back on and ensure the problem is resolved.
Contact Redfin Plumbing Co. To Fix Your Toilet Issues
If these steps seem daunting or if your toilet continues to run despite your efforts, it’s time to call in the experts. Redfin Plumbing Co. in Houston is here to help. Our experienced team can quickly diagnose and resolve any plumbing issue, ensuring your toilet and other systems work efficiently. Don’t let a running toilet run up your water bill – contact us today for reliable, professional service.